Raraunga Ohumahi - Te iwitanga i roto i te Ratonga Tūmatanui Workforce Data - Ethnicity in the Public Service
Raraunga Ohumahi - Te Ira Tangata i roto i Te Ratonga Tūmatanui Workforce Data - Gender representation in the Public Service
Raraunga Ohumahi - Āniwaniwa Workforce Data - Rainbow
Raraunga Ohumahi - Hunga whaikaha Workforce Data - Disability
Raraunga Ohumahi - Kāhua taipakeke Workforce Data - Age profile
Raraunga Ohumahi - Hāhi Workforce Data - Religion
Raraunga Ohumahi - Whakaurunga Workforce Data - Inclusion
Te Taunaki Public Service Census 2021 provided us with information about faith and religion for the first time.
Diverse religious affiliation
We learned that 46.7% of respondents were affiliated with a religion and the remaining 53.3% had no religion. This compares with just under half (48.2%) of the New Zealand population, who also reported no religion through the 2018 Census. Stats NZ described “an increasing trend in the number of people reporting no religion in the last few censuses”.
Losing our religion — Stats NZ
Of those affiliated with religion, Christian is the largest religious grouping in the Public Service (34.4% of respondents), as it is in the wider population (37% in the 2018 Census). Other religious affiliations can be seen below, with those such as Hinduism, Buddhism and Islam also similar to 2018 Census results for the New Zealand population.
Our public servants who affiliate with a religion are a diverse population, recording 133 religious categories in total (compared to the 157 categories reported in the 2018 Census for the New Zealand population).
Te Taunaki results generally indicate that the experience of working in the Public Service doesn’t vary substantially by religion.